A month ago Elizabeth, David and I installed a new family of mussels in the empty habitat that sits in the basin of English Kills. That original mussel group planted in the habitat did not survive (see first “Instagram” submission on this site). Since then a new crown was designed to repel potential predators and protect the mussels while permitting the flow of water and sunlight (see the “Mussels for Bio-Remediation” page). The second installment, thus far is a success. The mussels still survive! I removed the crown and accounted for the same number of mussels we placed; 7.
The point of this intervention is to test the viability of the mussel in the polluted conditions of English Kills and during the harsh winter weather. If they make it through then we can show and prove that they should exist there and will thrive. Thus contribute to the first man-made bio-remediation attempt in English Kills